What We Do
As performers are independent contractors and may work for thousands of different engagers over the course of their career, ACTRA provides many of the services to our members that would be provided by traditional employers:
- ACTRA negotiates and administers agreements with major studios, independent producers, television, radio and cable broadcasters on members' behalf.
- ACTRA ensures members are paid for both their work and the future use of their image.
- ACTRA ensures members have a safe work environment.
- ACTRA administers an insurance and retirement plan for members.
- ACTRA provides professional development opportunities for members, including training for Apprentice members.
- ACTRA ensures that members act in a manner befitting professional performers.
ACTRA Toronto works hard to provide our members with on-set protection, industry advocacy and related services that support our members' professional lives. Together with ACTRA National and our other ACTRA branches, ACTRA Toronto strives to improve working conditions for performers across the country and around the world.
ACTRA Toronto members take part in the Member Training Intensive, an
introduction to the business side of being a prefessional performer (2010).