ACTRA’s Apprentice Program allows performers who are new to ACTRA to work on ACTRA sets and earn credits toward Full Membership.
1. Land a qualifying role in a production under ACTRA’s jurisdiction. Qualifying credits include:
2. Once you get the role (but before you work) apply for a work permit through ACTRA Toronto’s Membership Department and advise them that you want to apply to become an Apprentice member. You will pay a yearly Apprentice fee of $75 and will be asked to attend an orientation session for new Apprentice members. As well, before you become a Full Member you need to take the Respect on Set Workshops.
3. If you are 16 years of age or older, you must complete the ACTRA Toronto Full Member Session, a short course dealing with the business side of being a professional performer.
4. Once you have registered in the Apprentice Program you need two more credits (a total of three) to become a Full member. There is no time limit between joining the Apprentice Program and becoming a Full member so long as you maintain your Apprentice membership and pay your annual fees.
5. When you purchase your third work permit, advise the ACTRA Membership Department that you want to become a Full ACTRA member. The initiation fee is $1600, less total permit fees paid for all qualifying credits earned as an Apprentice in good standing, plus your annual dues of $195.
6. Attend a Full members’ meeting. You are now a Full ACTRA member! You will receive your membership card in the mail.
Apprentice members can earn an additional credit through education or training. Check here to see if your school is recognized by ACTRA.
Apprentice members can participate in ratification votes on ACTRA agreements under the terms of which they have worked. Apprentice members may also serve on ACTRA Toronto’s various committees. Apprentice members do not have voting rights in elections and can’t hold elected positions at ACTRA.
ACTRA Apprentices can attend ACTRA Toronto’s free member conferences and take advantage of discounts available to ACTRA members. ACTRA Apprentice members are protected by ACTRA’s collective agreements and enjoy improved wages and working conditions, preference of engagement, enhanced work opportunities and all the advantages that flow from our union’s constant activism, advocacy and collective bargaining power.
ACTRA Apprentice members are not entitled to health and insurance benefits through the ACTRA Fraternal Benefit Society (AFBS). Once an Apprentice member becomes a Full ACTRA member, the performer RSP contributions paid to AFBS over the previous two years will be credited to the member’s record.