ACTRA Toronto – Toronto Shorts International Film Festival, in association with Trinity Square Video, present:
Short Film Challenge 2019
ACTRA Toronto and the Toronto International Short Film Festival are seeking submissions from ACTRA members who are interested in making a short (max 5 minute) film.
FAQ: Submission Requirements and Jury Process information
- ACTRA Toronto and the Toronto Shorts International Film Festival are partnering with Trinity Square Video to support one (1) filmmaker in the creation of one (1) short film no longer than 5 minutes in length.
- Deadline for submissions is June 14th 2019. Please see below for submission requirements.
- This is a juried process and filmmakers are required to submit script proposals with an accompanying proposed budget. Click here to access the on-line application form.
- The Creative Producer must identify as culturally or physically diverse. They must also be a member of ACTRA Toronto in good standing.
- Priority will be given to projects that have people from a culturally or physically diverse community in key roles: producer, writer, director, lead actor(s).
- Please note: Priority for all crew must be given to members of Trinity Square Video. Trinity Square will give you access to lists of potential crew from their membership.
- All films will be made under an ACTRA agreement, which requires all on screen performers to be ACTRA members in good standing.
- A sponsorship through Trinity Square Video offers a credit valued at $1400.00 which can go towards any of the following: production equipment (cameras, lights, sound, grip), post-production (editing suite, colour correction).
- ACTRA Toronto will award the winning filmmaker with a $500 cash prize to be put towards the costs of making of the film. The cost of AOS (Accident on Set) Insurance will also be covered.
- Filmmakers will be responsible for all other costs.
- All three organizations will be involved in a mentorship capacity throughout the process.
- One (1) project will be selected by a jury; made up of representatives from ACTRA Toronto, Trinity Square Video and Toronto Shorts International Film Festival.
- It is helpful but not essential that the key Creative(s) involved have some previous filmmaking experience.
The jury will be considering the following:
- Is the artistic treatment strong, clear and artistically interesting?
- The jury will evaluate proposed timeline of the project.
- The jury will evaluate the feasibility of the artistic vision. ie: reasonable cast size, limited locations, special effects (unless qualified personnel are attached to the project).
- Realistic budget in relationship to artistic vision.
The Jury will be looking at the following documents in PDF format;
Other important information:
- Deadline for submissions is June 14th, 2019.
- Filmmakers will be notified by July 5th, 2019.
- Filmmakers must submit a rough cut by September 30th, 2019.
- Films must be completed by October 15th, 2019.
- Successful Filmmakers will receive a $1400.00 credit from Trinity Square Video to be put towards production.
- The winning filmmakers will receive a $500.00 cash prize from ACTRA Toronto.
- All films will be guaranteed a World Premier screening at the Toronto Shorts International Film Festival.
- Representatives from all three organizations will be actively involved in the production process.
If your film is selected:
You will be sent a check list of requirements that include but are not limited to:
- Credit guidelines
- File format requirements: MP4 or .Mov files. Resolution: 1920 X1080
- Files can be delivered electronically through a downloadable link.
- Logo requirements including placement and size
- ACTRA Agreement requirements and paperwork
- Closed captioning requirements (File format .scc or .mov)
- Please note that a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) or BlueRay formats are not required.
How to submit:
To submit you must fill out the Application Form and send it electronically, along with a script, budget and bio.