Providing Services to People with Disabilities
ACTRA Toronto is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities.
We will ensure that our staff are trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods or services.
We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
We welcome people with disabilities and their service animals. Service animals are allowed on the parts of our premises that are open to the public.
A person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to have that person accompany them on our premises.
Fees will not be charged for support persons for admission to ACTRA Toronto’s premises or events. We will notify customers of this through a notice posted on our premises and website.
Notice of temporary disruption
In the event of a planned or unexpected disruption to services or facilities for customers with disabilities, ACTRA Toronto will notify customers promptly. This clearly posted notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated length of time, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available.
The notice will be posted on our premises and website.
Training for staff
ACTRA Toronto will provide training to all employees, volunteers and others who deal with the public or other third parties on their behalf. This training will be provided to all staff within one month of their start date.
Training will include:
- An overview of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- ACTRA Toronto’s accessible customer service plan
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- How to use any equipment or devices, e.g. TTY, wheelchair lifts, etc., that may be available on-site or otherwise that may help with providing goods or services to people with disabilities
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing ACTRA Toronto’s services
Staff will also be trained when changes are made to your accessible customer service plan.
Customers who wish to provide feedback on the way ACTRA Toronto provides services to people with disabilities can do so via phone: 416-928-2278 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. All feedback will be directed to Karen Ritson. Customers can expect to hear back within 2 days. Complaints will be addressed according to our organization’s regular complaint management procedures.
Modifications to this or other policies
Any policy of ACTRA Toronto that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.