Practice Safe Sets
To ensure the health and safety of all persons working in our industry, ACTRA advises productions to adopt increased hygiene standards for sets, studios, audition facilities, and other work environments.
CLEANING AND DISINFECTING
- All high-touch surfaces (ex: door handles, props, chairs, equipment) should be cleaned and disinfected regularly with either:
- Regular household cleaners or
- Diluted bleach (1 part bleach to 9 parts water)
- Please refer to the Health Canada website for a list of approved hard-surface disinfectants
COSTUME, MAKE-UP AND PROPS
- Costumes should be dry-cleaned in advance of being used.
- Hair & make up chair handles should be cleaned and disinfected before and after each use by a cast member.
- Make-up should be applied with disposable brushes. Reusable items should be disinfected between uses.
- Props and like materials should be disinfected before and after use.
- The use of single-serve prepackaged food is preferred.
- Employ extra food services personnel (catering/craft service) to help ensure proper food handling and preparation which may include individual wrapping of sandwiches, snack distribution, catering food distribution, etc.
- Have a dedicated craft service or catering person serve snacks or portions to individuals rather than the usual ‘self serve’ process.
- Serve prepackaged snacks rather than using communal bowls of food.
- Discontinue the communal use of tongs, knives or cutlery that get handled and then placed back on the food tray.
- Use single use creamers, sugar, etc. instead of communal carafes and bowls
- Clean and disinfect water and coffee dispensers or any other communal apparatus frequently.
- Provide a portable “event hand washing station” close to the craft service and catering areas and hand sanitizer.
- Place hand hygiene and cough and sneeze etiquette signs within areas in the food premise
- Rent larger tents and/or have larger Background Holding areas for the Background Performers to facilitate at least 2 meters/6 feet of social distancing
- Clean and disinfect tables and chairs regularly
- Rent portable “event hand wash stations” to ensure there is ample opportunity for individuals to wash their hands
- Provide hand sanitizer if possible/available
- Provide tissues and garbage bins for proper disposal
- Include information about hand washing and expected hygiene practices in an orientation at the start of each day or when new performers arrive throughout the day
- Trailers and rest areas for cast
- Ensure that cast trailers, tables, door handles are cleaned and disinfected before and after use by each cast member
- Allow rooms to air out after cleaning/disinfecting to ensure healthy air quality.
- Provide soap and water for hand washing
- Clean and disinfect handles of cast chairs frequently
- Include information about hand washing and expected hygiene practices in an orientation at the start of each day or when new cast arrive throughout the day
- Ensure the recommended 2 meters/6 feet of social distancing for recording sessions – this may require the Producer to reduce the number of performers in a session
- Regularly wipe down equipment after each use with disinfectant/cleaning products
- Allow rooms to air out after cleaning/disinfecting to ensure healthy air quality
- Provide disposable earphone covers
- Reschedule sessions to allow for Performers who are ill to stay home
- Post prevention tips in work and rest areas, such as washing hands often, etc.
- Clean and disinfect all high-touch surfaces regularly, including waiting area chairs and tables
- Ensure 2 meters/6 feet of social distancing for each person in waiting area
- Staggering audition call times to reduce the number of people in the waiting area
- Encourage people to sign in with their own pen and/or wipe down pens after each use
- Provide hand sanitizer, tissues and garbage for tissue disposal
- Ensure washrooms are well stocked with handwashing supplies
- Post prevention tips in waiting areas, such as washing hands often, etc.
A reminder: Work environments must also respect all health and safety requirements issued by the World Health Organization, federal government and respective provincial governments.